Wednesday, April 22, 2015

A Little Bit of Sunshine


I like the idea of yellow.  But, I don't like yellow.  

I always think I want to paint a piece yellow, but never do, because when it comes right down to it yellow is hard.  I don't like it too bright and I don't like it too....well, yellow.  I know, it makes no sense. That is why it's crazy that when I saw this little empire dresser I knew it needed to be yellow!  

I decided on a light creamy yellow, but a little on the brighter side.  I absolutely adore it paired with the scrapbook paper I used on the drawers and contrasted against the rich wood top.  I think it's a winning combo! 

I've been doing so many customs lately that it was nice to exercise my creativity a little.  


 BEFORE

It was so dark and dreary....





 AFTER

I really love turquoise and yellow together.  Such a happy combo!





 The color is Aubusson from Fusion Mineral Paint.  I'm fairly new to Fusion, but have loved trying their products.  I highly recommend going to their website and reading about their amazing paint.  I love there logo"Foundation to Finish All in One".  It really is a great product.  I love that it is an acrylic, but has properties of a chalk paint as well.  It has a great consistency, good coverage, and they have some amazing colors!  For this dresser I layered it over a custom yellow just to give a little dimension around the edges when I distressed. 




I used Modge Podge to adhere the paper to the top two drawers.  The pattern is subtle and just gives a little visual interest. 




 I sanded down the top and it was looking rough, but 2 coats of Java Gel from General Finishes fixed her right up.  I sealed it with 3 coats of General Finishes top coat in Flat. 












6 comments:

  1. The yellow and turquoise are great together. The wood top is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That yellow is perfect! I love orange, but that is another tricky color (so I picked one for a couple of the garage walls to get it out of my system)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you've been busy creating stuff I love when I have CreateInspire open three times in my browser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yellow is tough to get right...but you did it! :)

    -andi

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3